Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer
Santa Rosa Junior College Athletics

Bear Cubs Advance to Second Round of NorCal Regionals With Win Over San Mateo

Bear Cubs Advance to Second Round of NorCal Regionals With Win Over San Mateo

On Wednesday, The Bear Cubs (22-6) hosted the College of San Mateo Bulldogs (14-14) in round one of the CCCAA NorCal Regionals. In the 24-team NorCal bracket, Santa Rosa was the 14-seed, and San Mateo was the 19-seed. 

The Bear Cubs started the game on a quick 5-0 in the first two minutes with a Yatyn Anderson free throw, a bank shot by Chris Holley, and a jumper by Stephen Ransom. San Mateo responded with an 8-0 run, taking an 8-5 lead at the 16:00 mark. Andrew Pengel scored a two-point field goal for the Bear Cubs on their next possession before the Bulldogs would score six-straight points, making the score 14-7 with 14:51 before halftime. Needing to find a spark, Pengel drove to the hoop and got fouled on a made layup, he would complete the three-point play. After Santa Rosa narrowed the gap to 14-10, San Mateo scored seven straight points, extending the lead to 21-10 at the 13:31 mark. Pengel knocked down a three-pointer, stopping the bleeding momentarily, but the Bulldogs would score five unanswered points, extending the lead to thirteen points. After a timeout by Coach McMillan, Santa Rosa went on a 10-0 run via a three-point play by Anderson, a three-point basket by Holley, and two-point field goals by Ezekiel Stallworth and Justin Smith. With 10:31 before halftime, the Bear Cubs trailed 26-23. Following a made three-pointer by San Mateo, Pengel scored four straight points for Santa Rosa, cutting San Mateo's lead to just two points, 29-27. Following another quick 5-0 San Mateo run, Holley made a layup, keeping the game close. The game's blistering pace would continue, as the Bulldogs scored six quick points, with a Santa Rosa-made basket by Smith sandwiches in between. With over five minutes before halftime, San Mateo already had forty points. Four points by Holley would trim the deficit to 40-35 at the 3:28 mark. The two teams would trade baskets on their next possessions. San Mateo hit a three-pointer, extending their lead to eight points, but Stallworth responded with a tough fadeaway jumper, making the score 45-39 with 2:27 before the end of the half. The Bulldogs added three points before the end of the half, taking a 48-39 lead into the locker room. 

Coming out of the half, San Mateo hit a three-pointer, making the score 51-39. Stallowoth and Pengel would each make a three-point shot, cutting the deficit in half to 51-45. At the 16:35 mark, a San Mateo made basket pushed their lead to eight. The momentum then shifted entirely in favor of the Bear Cubs. Santa Rosa would go on a 14-0 run over the next four and a half minutes via nine points from Anderson (six free throws and a three-pointer), a three-pointer by Pengel, and two free throws by Holley. The fourteen unanswered points gave Santa Rosa a 59-53 advantage, their first lead since 5-0. A San Mateo two-point basket stopped their scoreless streak. The Bear Cubs continued driving to the basket and living at the free-throw line. Stallworth would make both free throws, and then Holley sank a pair of free throws after a San Mateo made basket. With 11:01 remaining, Santa Rosa lead 63-57. A jumper by Holley put the Bear Cuba ahead by eight at the 10:05 mark. The Bulldogs hit a three-pointer on their next possession, making it a five-point game. The Bear Cubs answered with a baseline dunk by Stallworth that brought the Hael Pavillion crowd to their feet. San Mateo blocked out the crowd noise and scored five straight points, making the score 67-65 with 8:41 left. The Bear Cubs pushed the lead out to six points with two free throws from Anderson and a tip-in by Smith. An and-one play by San Mateo on the next possession closed the gap. The two teams then exchanged two made free throws. With 7:00 left, Santa Rosa led 73-70. A layup by Holley made the score 75-70, but San Mateo responded with a basket of their own. A three-pointer by Holley and a pair of free throws by Anderson gave Santa Rosa an 80-72 lead with 5:17 remaining, their largest of the night. A three-pointer by San Mateo made it a five-point game, but Holley found Smith for a reverse layup to make it a three-possession game once more. At 3:41, San Mateo converted an and-one opportunity, trimming the Bear Cub lead to four. After a missed shot by the Bear Cubs, the Bulldogs hit a three-point basket, making the score 82-81. The momentum had shifted in San Mateo's favor. A driving layup gave San Mateo an 83-82 at 2:27. With 2:04 remaining, Pengel split a pair of free throws, tying the game at 83-83. The Bulldogs had a wide-open three-point attempt on their next possession, but the shot bounced off the rim. Ransom, who was fouled on the loose ball rebound, made both free throws, as Santa Rosa led 85-83 at 1:47. Another open three-pointer would not go down for San Mateo. Pengel buried a three-pointer for the Bear Cubs with 1:06 left, increasing the lead to five points. Santa Rosa got a steal on the next possession, and Ransom made two clutch free throws, as the Bear Cubs led 90-83 with 46 seconds remaining. San Mateo would make a layup, but Holley's two free throws kept it a seven-point game. The Bulldogs missed their shot on the next possession and fouled Pengel, who split his free throws. A three-point play by San Mateo made it a five-point game with 22 seconds left. Pengel was fouled and converted one of two free throws. Down six with eleven seconds left, San Mateo made a two-point basket. Anderson made one of his two free throws after being fouled. A three-point make by San Mateo at the buzzers was all for not as Santa Rosa was victorious. 

The Bear Cub extend their 13-game win streak, and advance to the second round of the NorCal Regionals. Santa Rosa will now travel to face the College of The Sequoias Giants on Saturday, March 2nd.