The SRJC men fought a tight battle against socal powerhouse Ventura and Big 8 rival Sierra to claim the victory at the Cuesta College Invitational last weekend in San Luis Obispo.
The Cubs held off a hard charging Ventura team that won the last two individual events, however the Bear Cubs' win in the 400 Medley Relay removed any doubt in the final standings. Members of that relay team included Ben Crabb, Bowen Brooks, Omar Saldivar, and Tom Franicevich. SRJC also won the 800 free relay and Crabb won the 200 IM as an individual. Despite winning only three events, it was the Bear Cubs' overall depth that won them the meet, placing several men in the top 4 in nearly every other event.
"Our men's team took a huge step forward this weekend showing that they could perform under pressure and compete with some of the best teams in the state. Our coaching staff was thrilled with their individual and relay performances at this point in the season, and we are very excited to get back to work in preparation for the championship season in April," commented head coach Jill McCormick.
The Bear Cubs will compete in the Big 8 Invite this Friday at American River College in Sacramento. They will then host their final home meets on Saturday, March 21. On that day they will be competing in a tri-meet against Consumnes River and Sierra Colleges at 10am, and then they will host their annual Alumni Meet that evening at 5pm.
Final Team Standings: 1. Santa Rosa, 650 2. Ventura, 588 3. Sierra, 563.5 4. Long Beach, 333 5. Bakersfield, 318 6. San Joaquin Delta, 291 7. American River, 280 8. Santa Monica, 258 9. Cuesta, 249.5 10. Sequoias, 174 11. Cerritos, 169.5 12. Merced, 114.5 13. Cypress, 62 14. Ohlone, 7 15. Cabrillo, 6.
View Complete Results at: swimphone.com
TOP SRJC FINISHERS
- 200 Free Relay-SRJC, 3rd, Tom Franicevich, Ben Crabb, Jesse Schmidt, Will Hardman, 1:26.35
- 1650 Free-2nd, Brandon Miguel, 17:14.27
- 200 Back-2nd, Ben Crabb, 1:53.56
- 100 Free-3rd, Tom Franicevich, 48.10
- 200 Breast-2nd, Bowen Brooks, 2:12.63
- 200 Fly-4th, Omar Saldivar, 1:59.75
- 200 IM-1st, Ben Crabb, 1:56.48
- 3M Diving-8th, Desmond Woodward
- 800 Free Relay-SRJC, 1st, Ben Crabb, Brandon Miguel, Jesse Schmidt, Tom Franicevich, 7:05.43
- 200 Medley Relay-SRJC, 2nd, Ben Crabb, Bowen Brooks, Omar Saldivar, Tom Franicevich, 1:38.47
- 400 IM-3rd, Jesse Schmidt, 4:21.30
- 100 Back-2nd, Ben Crabb, 52.45
- 200 Free-3rd, Tom Franicevich, 1:45.09
- 100 Fly-4th, Omar Saldivar, 53.37
- 400 Free Relay-4th, SRJC, Jesse Schmidt, Omar Saldivar, Bowen Brooks, Will Hardman, 3:17.24
- 100 Breast-2nd, Bowen Brooks, 59.48
- 500 Free-3rd, Brandon Miguel, 4:53.58
- 50 Free-8th, Will Hardman, 22:35
- 1M Diving-10th, Desmond Woodward, 124.00pts
- 400 Medley Relay-1st, SRJC, Ben Crabb, Bowen Brooks, Omar Saldivar, Tom Franicevich, 3:31.05